By J. Matt Barber
Balance of Power
Americans who self-identify as "gay" or lesbian comprise roughly one to three percent of the population. Yet the homosexual movement — led by extremist homosexual pressure groups like the so-called Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — represent, per capita, one of America's most powerful and well-funded political lobbies. Consider that HRC and the HRC foundation alone have an annual budget in excess of 50 million.
Through a carefully crafted, decades-old propaganda campaign, homosexual activists have successfully cast homosexuals — many of whom enjoy positions of influence and affluence — as a disadvantaged minority. They have repackaged and sold to the public behaviors which thousands of years of history, every major world religion and uncompromising human biology have long identified as immoral and sexually deviant.
As with every major political movement, the homosexual lobby is pushing a specific agenda. It is often called the "gay agenda." At its core is a concerted effort to remove from society all traditional notions of sexual morality and replace them with the post-modern concept of sexual relativism. That is to say, when it comes to sex, there is never right or wrong. All sexual appetites are "equal." If it feels good, do it.
Ultimately, the homosexual lobby's primary objective is to radically redefine our foundational institutions of legitimate marriage and the nuclear family by unraveling God's natural design for human sexuality. In so doing, they hope to elevate their own spiritual and biological counterfeit and establish a sexually androgynous society wherein natural distinctions between male and female are dissolved.
This creates cultural and moral anarchy.
Plan of Attack
Ironically, sexual relativists are anything but relative. They are quite affirmative in principle. But the principles they foist demand comprehensive acceptance of homosexual conduct — by force of law — through federal edicts such as "hate crimes" legislation, the so-called "Employment Non-Discrimination Act" (ENDA) and by imposing government sanctioned "same-sex marriage." All such government mandates grant special protected "minority" status to those who define themselves by aberrant sexual preferences and changeable sexual behaviors. These laws put people with traditional values directly in the crosshairs of official government policy.
Throughout society, homosexual activists demand that homosexual behaviors not only be "tolerated," but celebrated. (That's what the euphemistic slogan "celebrate diversity" supposes). They have masked their true political agenda by hijacking the language of the genuine civil rights movement and through the crafty and disingenuous rhetoric of "tolerance" and "diversity."
Anyone who believes the Biblical directive that human sexuality is a gift from God, to be shared between man and wife within the bonds of marriage, is branded "homophobic," "hateful" or "discriminatory." They are to be silenced by all means possible.
In Their Own Words
What you are about to read is just a quick, though disturbing, glance behind the homosexual lobby's lavender curtain.
Below are two of the central demands put forth by homosexual activists in their "1972 Gay Rights Platform":
- "Repeal all laws governing the age of sexual consent." (This should send a chill down the spine of any parent. It would legally allow pedophiles, and homosexuals who were so inclined, to access your children and teens for their own predatory sexual gratification — so long as those children "consented" to having sex.)
- "Repeal all legislative provisions that restrict the sex or number of persons entering into a marriage unit." (Once marriage is redefined, there can be no logical or ethical objection to any conceivable "marriage" combination, including polygamous "marriages." By watering down marriage, "gay" activists and like-minded politicos [usually activist judges] remove this foundational institution's intrinsic value.)
- "The government should provide protection from discrimination based on sexual orientation in employment, public accommodations and education just as protection is provided on race, creed, color, sex, or national origin." ([ENDA] This would force all religious business owners, landlords and schools to abandon — under penalty of law — sincerely held and constitutionally protected religious beliefs and adopt a view of sexual morality that runs entirely counter to central teachings of every major world religion.)
- "Anti-homophobic curriculum in the schools." (Translation: pro-homosexual, government-mandated indoctrination. This is already occurring in thousands of public schools throughout America. Children are being force-fed the absurd notion that male-male anal sodomy is a perfectly acceptable, "alternative" sexual "orientation." This calculated propaganda continues to expand, despite the fact that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has acknowledged that such behaviors place participants at extremely high risk for dangerous and often deadly infectious disease.)
- "The government should ensure all public education programs include programs designed to combat lesbian/gay prejudice. ... Institutions that discriminate against lesbian and gay people should be denied tax-exempt status and federal funding." (This means churches, religious schools and religious businesses. Some jurisdictions, such as the state of New Jersey, have already begun removing tax-exempt status from church related ministries that refuse to provide "commitment ceremonies" to homosexuals.)
- "Public and private institutions should support parenting by lesbian or gay couples." (This is now being mandated in many states such as California and Massachusetts. In Massachusetts, Catholic Charities' adoption service was recently forced to close down because it refused to assign children to homosexuals for adoption.)
More recently, a Christian photographer was dragged before the New Mexico Human Rights Division for refusing to photograph a "commitment ceremony" for a lesbian couple because lesbian behavior is inconsistent with Christianity.
Such stark examples of homofascist persecution continue to mount. And they're by design. Noted homosexual activist and pornographer Clinton Fein addressed the "gay" agenda in a 2005 article candidly titled, "The Gay Agenda":
- On "hate crimes" laws: "Hate Crime laws are just the beginning. Once those are passed either federally or in all 50 states, begin campaign to eliminate homophobia entirely."
- On "hate thoughts" and "hate speech" laws: "Homophobic inclinations alone, even without any actions, should be criminal and punishable to the full extent of the law."
- On influencing public policy: "Make sure that gay representation permeates every level of governance."
- On "same-sex marriage": "Demand the institution and then wreck it. James Dobson was right about our evil intentions. We just plan to be quicker than he thought."
- On "gays" in the Church: "Reclaim Jesus. He was a Jewish queer to begin with, and don't let anyone forget it."
In their manuscript, After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the 90's (1989, Doubleday/Bantam), Harvard educated marketing experts Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen meticulously laid out the homosexual lobby's blueprint for success in what is widely regarded as the handbook for the "gay" agenda.
They devised a three-pronged approach that the homosexual lobby has masterfully implemented in subsequent years: Desensitization, Jamming and Conversion.
Kirk and Madsen summarized their approach this way:
- Portray gays as victims, not as aggressive challengers.
- Give potential protectors a just cause.
- Make gays look good.
- Make victimizers look bad.
"Desensitization," wrote Kirk and Madsen, means subjecting the public to a "continuous flood of gay-related advertising, presented in the least offensive fashion possible. If 'straights' can't shut off the shower, they may at least eventually get used to being wet."
As previously stated, glamorizing and normalizing homosexual conduct in our public schools is a full time endeavor. But the schools represent only one field of battle in the war over America's body, mind and soul.
With the aid of a willing mainstream media and a like-minded Hollywood, societal desensitization has been largely achieved. Blockbusters like Tom Hanks' Philadelphia, the late Heath Ledger's Brokeback Mountain, and television programs like Will and Grace and Ellen represent a modern-day fairy tale, creating a dishonest and sympathetic portrayal of a lifestyle which is emotionally, spiritually and physically sterile.
Reality is replaced with fantasy. Gone are references to, or images of, the millions of homosexual men wasting away in hospice due to behaviorally related diseases such as HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis and Syphilis. (Unnatural behaviors beget natural consequences. As Romans 6:23 says, "The wages of sin is death.")
And gone are references to, or images of, men and women trapped in the homosexual lifestyle who aimlessly seek to fill a spiritual and emotional void through promiscuous and meaningless sexual encounters.
The homosexual group, GLAAD, even offers awards to the television networks that most effectively carry the homosexual lobby's water. The more distorted and positive the portrayal of homosexual conduct and the more frequently the networks shows such portrayals; the more likely networks are to win the coveted awards.
As Kirk and Madsen put it, homosexuals should be portrayed as the "Everyman." "In no time," they said, "a skillful and clever media campaign could have the gay community looking like the veritable fairy godmother to Western Civilization."
Prophetic words from two very smart men.
"Jamming" refers to the public smearing of Christians, traditionalists or anyone else who opposes the "gay" agenda. "Jam homo-hatred (i.e., disagreement with homosexual behaviors) by linking it to Nazi horror," wrote Kirk and Madsen. "Associate all who oppose homosexuality with images of 'Klansmen demanding that gays be slaughtered,' 'hysterical backwoods preachers,' 'menacing punks,' and a 'tour of Nazi concentration camps where homosexuals were tortured and gassed.'
"In any campaign to win over the public, gays must be portrayed as victims in need of protection so that straights will be inclined by reflex to adopt the role of protector ... The purpose of victim imagery is to make straights feel very uncomfortable," they suggested.
But, perhaps Kirk and Madsen's most revealing admission came when they said, "[O]ur effect is achieved without reference to facts, logic, or proof."
And so words like "homophobe" and "heterosexism" were pulled from thin air, not because they had substance, but because they were effective jamming tools. Anyone who holds traditional values relative to human sexuality suddenly became a "homophobe," a "hatemonger," a "bigot."
Not even churches are safe.
"Gays can undermine the moral authority of homo-hating churches over less fervent adherents by portraying [them] as antiquated backwaters, badly out of step ... with the latest findings of psychology. Against the atavistic tug of 'Old Time Religion' one must set the mightier pull of science and public opinion. ... Such an 'unholy' alliance has already worked well in America against the churches, on such topics as divorce and abortion. ... [T]hat alliance can work for gays."
And, oh, how it has.
"Conversion" means, in the words of Kirk and Madsen, "conversion of the average American's emotions, mind, and will, through a planned psychological attack, in the form of propaganda fed to the nation via the media."
"In the early stages of any campaign to reach straight America, the masses should not be shocked and repelled by premature exposure to homosexual behavior itself. Instead, the imagery of sex should be downplayed and gay rights should be reduced to an abstract social question as much as possible. First let the camel get his nose inside the tent — and only later his unsightly derriere!"
So, as Kirk and Madsen both astutely understood and surprisingly admitted, homosexual activism is really a big game of "hide the ball." In order to achieve widespread acceptance of "gayness," they had to remove the focus from what homosexuality really is (deviant sexual conduct) and shift it onto the craftily manufactured specter of "gay civil rights."
In order to cut through much of the propagandist sugarcoating, one need only consider what two men must actually do in order to "consummate" a so-called "gay marriage." Kirk and Madsen understood that. Most people are repulsed by the mechanics of homosexual conduct, but everyone is for "civil rights." Of course, in reality, the homosexual lifestyle has nothing to do with civil rights and everything to do with conduct.
Therein lies the deception.
But There's Hope
There's hope for people who are trapped in the homosexual lifestyle or who suffer from unwanted same-sex attraction. Part of our fallen condition as humans is that we are all subject to sin. Those who know the Savior of the world, Jesus Christ, are no better or worse than those who engage in homosexual sin.
But through the loving and redemptive power of Jesus Christ, we can all find salvation from sin. So can homosexuals. "Gayness" is not an "immutable" or unchangeable condition as homosexual apologists would have you believe. People can find freedom from homosexual behaviors and even from same-sex attractions. It's not easy, but untold thousands of former homosexuals have done it.
There's also hope in the ongoing battle between the "gay" agenda and our national moral integrity. Concerned Women for America (CWA) endeavors on a daily basis to counter this destructive movement throughout all facets of culture and public policy.
With God's help, we can turn back the tide of sexual and moral relativism that has both permeated our society and offended our founding principles.
(For more information about Concerned Women for America and to learn how you can be part of unmasking the "gay" agenda, please call us at (202) 488-7000 or visit CWA's website at www.cwfa.org.)